Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Class...

In my "night job," where I sell sports memorabilia, artwork and jewelry at silent auctions, I am often looked down at (by the attendees). I guess I am viewed as "hired help." It's an experience I haven't had to deal with since I left Barnes & Noble nearly five years ago. Half the time, if the men aren't staring down my dress, they are ignoring me.

During an auction in an upscale area the other night, I started thinking about the concept of class. I know more people who run around in camouflage and shoot each other on weekends who have tons more class (and money, in many cases!) than some of these high-powered execs who shell out hundreds of dollars in cash for a baseball with Don Mattingly's signature on it. In fact, many members of the paintball industry (and some of my closest friends) look like rednecks, curse like sailors, and have more class than an entire room of bankers, lawyers and politicians.. um... hmmmm...maybe not such a good analogy.

A quote from the Brendan Fraser/Alicia Silverstone movie came to my mind... "Turns out, the short and very simple definition of a gentleman or a lady is: someone who always attempts to make the people around him or her feel as comfortable as possible."

In short, a gentleman is someone who has class. And so... my pet peeves about people who lack class, in particular, people at upscale charity events who do nothing to make others feel comfortable at all... (and I promise, my blogs will get wittier as time passes; I am out of practice.)

It is not classy to...

* Haggle down the prices of artwork when it is a charitable donation;
* Ask if the Auctioneer is for sale, as well;
* Stare down the auctioneer's dress (well, maybe this one is okay... I'll write about my views on seductive clothing later.)
* Interrupt people. Whoever they are.
* Interrupt people... yeah, this is one of my top pet peeves of all time.

Stay tuned for my very first "flashback blog."

No comments: