Monday, December 10, 2007

Whips and Chains... oh, Wait...

Because I don't spend nearly enough time on the Internet, I've joined the AW Blog Chain this month.

It's my first time doing something like this, but I know many of the Bloggers involved and visit their sites regularly. It should make for some good reading, so I urge you to check it out! (See the links to the left!)

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to battle my Internet addiction. I need to set some parameters for myself. I wind up checking AW, e-mail and a handful of blogs every time I stop one project and begin another. Since I am big on multitasking and tend to bounce back and forth from one article to another, this is a huge problem. I estimate I spend about 4 hours a day just checking forums, etc.

Sure, I've landed jobs from it, but I feel like it's getting to be a problem, when I'm putting in 10 - 12 hour days writing, but too much of it is spent NOT writing.

Now there's discussions on AW about Skype, LinkedIn and other social networks that threaten to suck up more of my day. Help? Suggestions??

6 comments:

VirtualWordsmith said...

I spend inordinate amounts of time using the internet. I told my husband if I could find a job that let me read and write to my heart's content, research was required, and I could talk with highly intelligent people all day long, and yet never actually see anybody with my eyes from 8 am til 3 pm, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Well, here I am! LOL

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm in the same boat, so not much to offer for advice, except I try to make deals with myself (if I get three interviews scheduled, I can cruise past AW) but sometimes I just have to let myself wind out and read everything. Or drink a lot of tea, so when I take a piddle break, I can get distracted by something else!;)

Dawn said...

LOL, Plaid. Yeah, pee breaks are another (not as much fun) distraction in my day! Esp. when I'm trying to eat healthy, which includes 8 glasses of water/green tea per day!

Virtual, I like your way of looking at things! ;)

Unknown said...

Oh no!! Not a single bit of advice, as I too have this problem. I know I need to organize my time better is all and sometimes I succeed in making myself get up out of my chair just to move on to the next project. Now that I've read your post, I'm going to look into the AW blog chain - I've been a member of AW for many months and haven't checked the site out for some time. It was my one time parasite I couldn't get enough of :0 ...good luck :)

political wife said...

Oh, as wonderful as the soc. and prof. networking sites are, they can be so addictive. It's like you start to ask yourself, "um shouldn't I be writing" even though you know that by networking you're building or adding to platform. Oh, and to distract you some more...you've been tagged. :)

Dawn said...

Guys, this has helped me so much, just knowing I am not alone in it!

I guess so long as I'm not missing deadlines and paying the bills, I shouldn't worry.

I guess I also have to remember that if I worked in an office, I'd spend a good part of my day socializing with people I didn't seek out, wouldn't choose to spend time with, probably don't like, and are in the same place as me, therefore, won't help me make connections outside of that circle.

One of the fascinating things about Web networking is the sheer quantity and diversity of people you connect with!